All requests for certification information should be directed to
The AOBS is committed to fulfill the duties ascribed by the AOA in the certification processes of Osteopathic Surgeons and to set and test a standard of excellence. The examination process will be one which is comprehensive and psychometrically sound.
To be the primary certification board for all Osteopathic Surgeons.
Our Objectives and Purposes
- To define the qualifications required of the osteopathic physician for certification in surgery, and the surgical specialties, assigned to the AOBS by the Board of Trustees of the American Osteopathic Association.
- To determine by examination and other evaluations, the fitness and competence of osteopathic physicians for certification in surgery and the surgical specialties assigned to the AOBS.
- To issue certificates to osteopathic physicians duly licensed by law who have been recommended for certification by the AOBS to the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists, and who have been approved for certification by the Board of Trustees of the AOA.
- To establish, maintain, alter, and amend rules and regulation, standards and qualifications for the granting, issuing, maintenance and revocation of certificates with the approval of the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists.
- To maintain and promote moral and ethical standards in the practice of surgery and the surgical specialties within the osteopathic profession.
- To report all actions, recommendations and activities of the AOBS to the Board of Trustees of the AOA through the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists.
AOA CODE OF ETHICS (PDF)
Please note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you may download it by clicking on the icon at right.